9.27.2011

In Modica


Casa Talia is the name of this group of small homes located in Modica, Italy, designed by architects Vivian Haddad and Marco Giunta. I can't get over the tile work in these two rooms (kitchen/living room + bedroom), as well as this open air sitting room (furnished with what looks like Ikea chairs!). So earthy and removed from the everyday. It's the perfect atmosphere for getting lost in your thoughts. When you can find inspiration in the curve of the walls, you know it's a good space.

(source: arch daily / via Anthology Magazine)


Also finally, I love when a bathroom has a little outdoor element to it. I suppose it has to do with the water. Bathrooms can easily get stuffy, and closed in, and yes, very wet. If it's muggy, and you have a window to open, all the better. (Although I suspect you can't here in this instance below, since it looks to be a basement bath, but you get where I'm going with this.) So many things are right here. It's open, but it's private — so you get the natural light without feeling like too much of an exhibitionist. It's taking advantage of that often problematic basement window (notorious flooders) by putting a bed of cacti down (genius!). The fixtures are minimalist, but modern, juxtaposed by what I can assume are vintage tiles. And to keep it even more open and modern , I'm pretty sure that line going down the picture is the edge of a glass partition separating the shower from the rest of the space. Love it. As in, if I had a gazillion dollars, I'd build a bathroom with a chunk of the wall opened up into a teeny tiny garden.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...